Friday, September 13, 2013

Five for Friday {9/13}

Day 7 of school!
 
I am so overjoyed with this year's class!

They are such a nice group of kids...it's freakishly scary!

In the years past I have left school exhausted after each day. I'm sure you all can relate.

Not this year! I actually have energy to spare!

Anyhoo...
 
I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for my first Five for Friday.
 

1. Hot and Cold Choice

After having my firsties choose hot or cold lunch this way on the first day...
(Although the ribbon was super cute, it didn't work for me!)

I changed to having them choose this way on the VERY next day.
 
I numbered their lunch cards and double sided taped numbers on a small pocket chart.
They simply choose their card and place it in the hot or cold bucket.
 
Wow! What a difference this made.
 
Choosing hot or cold lunch each day is now a SNAP!

2. Rules!
 
After going over the class rules and reading David Goes to School, we created our own David and wrote some rules for him.
 

I hung the David's up before looking at the names on the back. Hence, no writing.
 
Taking them down would be too much work so I had the bright idea of asking who's each was.
 
I thought for sure they would be able to tell me. I mean, they colored them!
 
Wrong-O!
 
Only a couple of them remembered which one was theirs.

SNAP! Guess what I'll be doing?

3. Environmental Print

We began learning that we truly can read!



They had fun doing all of the environmental print activities I collected from Carolyn at Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together.

Go check out her post. All of the resources were FREEBIES!

4. Stamina
 
We began practicing building our stamina.
 
They totally rocked the second attempt!
 
 
So proud of these guys!
 
 
 
5. Math Songs
 
We are having so much fun singing songs throughout the day, but we especially like to sing Addition Boogie!
 
Ummm, this picture really doesn't show how much fun we do have!
 
There's usually some fist pumpin' and heads bobbin'!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
 
 
post signature

6 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the linky and am happy to say that I am your newest follower. I see that you are fairly new to blogging, just like me. I would love for you stop by and check out my blog if you get a chance. Also the blog, "I {heart} Recess" is having a linky party going on right now for budding bloggers. You should link up. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read more post.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jamie! And thanks for the heads up about the budding blogger linky. I'll definitely be checking it out.

      Delete
  2. Hi Veronica!
    I found your blog through Five for Friday and I just love it! I teach 2nd grade and completely understand the name ordeal. LOL. Sounds like you have a wonderful class! Thanks for sharing your Five for Friday!

    Portia
    Tidbits from Ms. Pitts
    http://mspitts2ndgraders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for mentioning me, Veronica! :) I am so glad you liked the environmental print freebies. My kids have been really loving them, too- because they can READ! That would be so me with the Davids and the names... and then you say, "Who made this one?" crickets... Happy Weekend!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete