Friday, January 17, 2014

Five for Friday... MLK Jr Style

It's time for...
 
http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/01/five-for-friday-linky-party-january-17.html
 
This week our focus was Non-Fiction. What a better way to kick off this unit than by learning all about Martin Luther King Jr!
 
This is my favorite topic to teach! I just LOVE teaching my kids about equality!
 

 
We began our week by reading a close reading passage about MLK from TGIF! Thank God it's First Grade and highlighting the words that we had no clue what they meant. We then created a vocabulary chart with these words and defined them.
 
http://thankgoditsfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2014/01/close-reading-in-1st-grade-freebie.html
This photo is from Susan's blog (I forgot to take pictures of my student's work).
 
This close reading packet is a FREEBIE on her blog.
 
 
We read several books about Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges.
 
 
Every year I tear up whiling reading A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr.
This year after reading it, one of my little boys said 'Miss Porche that was so sad, I almost started crying. I have tears in my eyes.'
I know...me too!!!
 
 
We created tear art portraits of Martin Luther King Jr.
Happy to announce there were no tears this year!
 

 
They always turn out so funny and cute at the same time!
 
 
We compared/ contrasted the outside and inside of a white and brown egg.
 
 

 
You can find the Are we really different? worksheets in Erin's I Have a Dream! A MLK, Jr Mini Unit {here}.
 
 
What a better way to 'wrap' up our week of learning all about MLK, Jr than with a rap!
 
 
 
 Enjoy you're 3 day weekend everybody!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Looks like your kiddos had a great time learning about MLK, too!
    It was fun reading your latest blog posts that I haven't read yet... I must say, I have never heard of Jamberry Nails... have I been living under a rock!?!

    Elizabeth
    Seconds at the Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I just recently learned about them too. I'd be happy to send you a sample. Head on over to my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/veronicajaminnails) and PM me your address.

      Delete
  2. Please check out LIFTPackages.blogspot.com. It is a teacher exchange program in which you meet teachers and send packages. Please feel free to sign up and pass our name along!

    Thanks
    -LIFTPackages

    ReplyDelete